Sunday, December 14, 2014

It was decided to happen after 20 years.. and it actually happened after 23 years :-)







   In lofty blue mountains of the Nilgiris, is nestled the more than 120 year old British school - St Joseph's Convent....with its stone buildings , flowering gardens , huge drive ways, wooden floored Chapel, french windows and its spooky ghost passage ....




    Its the year 1991 and a group of chatty 15 year old girls are standing in front of the school main hall making a life decision ( at least it seemed so then :-) ) .. to meet after 20 years where ever we are .

 Our English Mam Ms Juliet ( who insisted that photographer has to be pronounced as photogripher !!) had just finished O'Henry's famous short story 
'After twenty years', where two friends meet after 20 years , one a policeman and the other a hunted criminal. And we decided to do the same - meet after 20 years !! ( Even 18 year old seemed aged  to us then )


 
    After high school when we parted ways , it was the Indian post office which kept the communication going ( and what a thrill to get a letter from my friends , who used to start letters as if its the middle of a conversation ) . This too, dwindled after a year.

  Years kept rolling by , with each one's life going through a kaleidoscope of colors - hours of endless studying in 12th, college, job, international travel, marriage , kids...... it was the year 2011 and I distinctively remember thinking of our decision to meet after 20 years, but I did not have a single contact with me ( don't ask what happened to FB - I don't even remember having an account then ) .
 
  Fast forward to 2014 and  my elder sister who had not gone beyond sending an sms or web browsing , suddenly became tech savvy, went wizzy on facebook and whatsapp, networking to her friends across the globe .. and thud - who came and landed on her friend's list  ?  my very close friend from kindergarten to high school - yes one among the chatty group - within an hour I was contacted, numbers exchanged and I was pulled into .. ......

                   yes ! - my school friend's whatsapp group :-) :-) :-)

And oh My God !! what a group - more than 30 girls , 100 odd messages zipping across all time zones and sweetest of all ,chatting as if we had left of yesterday and not after 23 years - I still remember the glow I was walking around with that day :-)

  Catching up on our lives , exchanging photos ( and commenting about how young we still looked - hee hee hee ) and most to savour is expressing what is on my mind without a inhibition and being welcomed with open arms , that child rapport mingled with the Coonoor innocence - this is something I guess, all share with childhood friends !!

   This group is  place I can stay away for days or weeks and just glide in with ease.... this group is    where one topic just glides into another..... its a place where even if one or one's family is a little sick, home remedies or get well soon inquiries keep pouring in till its all ok......

   Reminiscing about our school days, when my friends remembered details about me , even after more than two decades ( which I myself had forgotten ) , made my step lighter. 

 With enhanced connectivity shrinking the world, planning rendevouz is obviously on  the roll, for which I am eagerly awaiting ... 

Thank you dear friends for getting back into my life again  :-) 

  For each of us, where childhood memories are so treasured, plugging into that world again after so many years is indeed precious.. a universal feeling  ....

  so signing off with  the St Joseph's Convent School Song


              Hail to our Happy School days ,
              Youth with a will to win... ( pomp..pomp !! ) 
               Hail to our Happy Team Days
               The Game that call us in...............................


Three Cheers to St Joseph's Hip Hip Hurray !!!!

   

 
 
 

2 comments:

Sreeanand said...

அன்னையின் அரவணைப்பிற்கு பிறகு
எத்தனைமுறை புதைந்தாலும், என்றெனன்றும் இனிமை தரும்
ஆட்டோகிராப் நிமிடங்கள்.
- ஸ்ரீஆனந்த்.

Nina Varghese said...

Some of us from the Class of 72 (ancient, are we) used to meet quite regularly. Nothing like my school mates

Thrilled, excited,joyful etc.

Years roll by and I guess all of us at one stage think, I should have done this. When we are in our twenties, that seems ok because we feel...