Thursday, November 19, 2015

Series on Educational Therapy - Is it easy to say thank you ?

     Thank you has crossed my lips many times, as a formality,  to teach my children, heartfelt to many, as part of work,.. it has been conveyed many times in actions and but how do I convey my  complete sense of thankfulness to people I have never met and will never meet, as they are no more.

 After a 17+ years in the telecom software industry, little did I know what I was signing up for, when I joined the educational therapy course, except that I wanted something part time and with the time factor at my will. The time factor at my discretion was honestly my driving priority because I knew how much it was eaten up during my long  IT career.

But then,  after I started my course on educational therapy  .....wasn't  I bowled over...? It was actually stepping into a new world. A new world where every one whom I met ( let me stress this ..literally every one ) was driven by one emotion - to make learning a pleasurable  experience for children, especially those who find it difficult to understand language and numbers with our current teaching methods.

For me , everything was different, compared to what I had been doing till now - it was seeing a new world with the same eyes- starting with the very thought process, the approach, the patience, the commitment to move step by step ahead, even its baby steps which keep fumbling, the goals to works towards to,teaching methods-   every thing has made me feel very excited, happy and most of all equipped to some extent.

The road towards understanding / research on learning disabilities is definitely come over decades but for me it was new, especially techniques which have been researched by doctors and have proven to show good results.


What was even more captivating was ....

-  How few people, decades back  ( I am not getting into  names) , were driven by one goal - that there has to be a way, wherein  children who see letters and numbers differently can be helped.

- How they never gave up and made people, especially parents and school understand that , it  requires alternate teaching methods and that  the shortcomings of adults with regard to teaching/ comprehending the language and numbers cannot be imposed on children.

- How they went about establishing the techniques in a systematic way, which finally evolved into a national level institute.

..and finally how they made me and so many others across the globe understand that , a child falling short of academic achievements in the current education system, is not a burden it has to carry for life..  and that its  not a life sentence.

     How many reading this article ( I mean the so called adults )  can raise their hands to say that they are skilled in all the world's skills - not one. Some are talented in certain fields , while some are in others. Its exactly the same for kids - some might be skilled in reading / writing and numbers intuitively while others are not.

And for those who are not, isn't it common sense to teach them in the right way, instead of blaming them for their academic failure and making their lives miserable.

If at any point in their lives , if the pioneers in this field had given up , I would not be writing this today .....and I am still at loss to say thank you.

The only way I know , is to put to use the knowledge I have gained, to enhance the educational experience of children.

As I take further steps into this world, I will keep sharing what I learn , as a series of articles....

Till then ...wish me luck to learn well.





5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck my girl.

Unknown said...

well written AS. All the best!!

Unknown said...

Wishing u all the very best Sujatha :)

Anonymous said...

Great start, As.
Am happy to see your passion to drive this. This is one Area which needs huge amount of perseverance and passion is the greatest fuel for that.
Best way to say Thank you is making a difference in children's life who need different approach in curriculum.
My Best Wishes in the journey!.
- Nanthini


Unknown said...

Awesome AS. I am happy that you have made a hard start in this direction with such a short duration . I had not managed though I had my wishes. . Hope seeing you at least I have.more inspiration to follow in this direction.

Thrilled, excited,joyful etc.

Years roll by and I guess all of us at one stage think, I should have done this. When we are in our twenties, that seems ok because we feel...