Sunday, June 5, 2016

beige, peach,pink ...gender matters.

    Many a time I find these gender based arguments outright silly....for me,each human being is born  to live a complete life on this planet . Neither should they  expect  someone to handover their rights to them on a golden plate or assume the rights to treat another person badly..... but some situations leave me stumped....no..no...nothing serious except for the million dollar question..can men really not see colours.... ??

        Between two men in my house ( who else but my hubby and my 11 year old son :-) ) who cannot  see the difference between pink and red .. and my  4 year old daughter who used to say ' that's NOT dark brown ....that's chocolate brown by the time she was 2 years.....stand I , also particular about colour combinations and dress designs....


      My daughter's birthday was approaching and my son, who never used to bother about his clothes , suddenly wants to select for his sister.... and for him, some colours are good only because some weird superhero wears it.. and for me , there are  umpteen parameters which go into deciding whether a dress looks good :) .


         I thought I can solve the predicament, by doing my  daughter's birthday dress shopping on-line...and get it done in half an hour max.  One quiet  afternoon..( the only reason my house is quiet is because my little one is sleeping and my son is doing something on his own ) , I sat down to have look at girls dresses ..and all for my high hopes !!!     Soon both were over my shoulder , wanting every thing which popped up. My son with his funky selections and my daughter wanting her dress to look exactly like a princess.

      Soon my husband joined and with my son started telling me to take the ' peach dress'.. I was searching up and down .....and finally they were pointing out a beige dress...and believe me, they STILL call beige as peach !!!!....I have heard and specifically searched that men do see colours different from women....and it ain't a crime..right  ? If I have talk about the colour sense of the men at home , I should also mention the pathetic direction sense that I have ( can I blame that on my gender ?? )   The beauty lies in the difference and accepting it.  Finally after three days of searching, I,...opps sorry, WE did select a dress. 

       When my daughter was born I had decided that I would use the loads of toys  and books my son had for her ( which were all vehicles or transformers and books on war planes and stuff.. ) .. but will nature allow it ?? . My son used to sit on my lap and stare at a page of car parts for an hour.. while daughter refuses to even see the book. By the time she was one, she instinctively used to play  only with dolls .....all her brother's cars and vehicles held no fascination for her. As she grows older , her world is dominated by fairy tales , castles , fairies and pixies...and of course her dolls. Who am I to fight against the strong maternal instinct ? When my son was kid, I remember so well, him asking me ' does the horse use petrol or diesel'  :- ) .I grew  up in a house hold of girls ( we are three sisters ) and studied in all girls school till 12th std .  Meeting my nephews or cousins were restricted to  holidays and so ,  I am still learning as my son grows. Books like famous five and enchanted wood which used to hold me in awe , my son finds them boring and it took some time for me to understand that it is indeed boring for him.


        Looking at my children , I understand that , what come naturally must only be nurtured and not changed. 


   What is most important is that they respect the opposite gender for what they are...and understand that all are human beings, who have every right to weave a beautiful lives around them in this journey called life !!


     

No comments:

Thrilled, excited,joyful etc.

Years roll by and I guess all of us at one stage think, I should have done this. When we are in our twenties, that seems ok because we feel...